Dental Exams & Cleanings Long Beach
Conveniently located to serve Lakewood, Los Alamitos, Los Altos, and Belmont Shore
The dental exams & cleanings we perform at Dr. John H. Cho’s office ensure that patients receive the best in oral care. We are able to check for a variety of dental issues and resolve them effectively to give you the healthy teeth you deserve.
A comprehensive dental exam will be performed by your dentist at your initial dental visit. At regular check-up exams, your dentist and hygienist will perform the following:
- Examination of diagnostic X-rays (radiographs): X-rays are essential for detection of dental issues such as decay, tumors, cysts, and bone loss. X-rays also help determine tooth and root positions.
- Oral cancer screening: This involves checking the face, neck, lips, tongue, throat, tissues, and gums for any signs of oral cancer. Common symptoms include lumps, white patches, eroded regions, and swelling.
- Gum disease evaluation: This involves checking the gums and bone around the teeth for any signs of periodontal disease. Common signs include redness, swelling, pus, bad breath, and looseness of teeth.
- Examination of tooth decay: All tooth surfaces will be checked for decay with special dental instruments. Signs of tooth decay include sensitivity, stains, tooth pain, and holes in the tooth.
- Examination of existing restorations: This involves checking the condition of all fillings, crowns, bridges, and any other restorations that are present.
If any issues with the health of your teeth are discovered during your dental exam, Dr. Cho will speak with you regarding effective methods to resolve them. Depending on the recommended method of correction, a treatment date may need to be scheduled. In many cases, however, you may be able to treat the issues without the need for in-office procedures.
Professional Dental Cleaning
Professional dental cleanings (dental prophylaxis) are usually performed by Registered Dental Hygienists. Your cleaning appointment will include a dental exam and the following:
- Removal of plaque: Plaque is removed from the gum line and between the teeth with the help of a precise tool known as a scaler. Plaque is a sticky, almost invisible film that forms on the teeth. It is a growing colony of living bacteria, food debris, and saliva. The bacteria produce toxins (poisons) that inflame the gums. This inflammation is the start of periodontal disease!
- Removal of tartar: Tartar (also called calculus) is hardened plaque that has been left on the tooth for some time and is now firmly attached to the tooth surface. Tartar forms above and below the gum line and can only be removed with special dental instruments.
- Teeth polishing: During this step of the cleaning process, a specialized dental tool is used to remove stubborn stains and plaque that could not be removed using tooth brushing and scaling.
Scheduling Your Dental Exam & Cleaning
Proper oral care is the key to lasting dental health, and a dental exam & cleaning from a skilled and experienced dental professional is the first step. Whether it has been a while since your last cleaning or you’re just scheduling your next one, Dr. Cho is the ideal choice. Contact us today to schedule your appointment.