Here is an overview of what you can expect when getting braces:
- Placement day – The placement of braces will not be painful in the slightest. It may take longer to eat meals, but this is largely because it takes some time to adjust to wearing the braces. In some cases, the teeth may feel more sensitive than usual. Hard, difficult to chew foods should be avoided in favor of a softer, more liquid-based diet for the first few days after placement of braces.
- Two days after placement – The first several days after placement of braces can be slightly uncomfortable. This is because the teeth are beginning the realignment process and are not used to the pressure of the archwire and orthodontic elastic bands. The orthodontist will provide relief wax to apply over the braces as necessary. Wax helps provide a smooth surface and alleviates irritation on the inner cheeks and lips. Additionally, over-the-counter pain medication (e.g., Motrin® and Advil®) may be taken as directed to relieve mild soreness.
- Five days after placement – After five days, any initial discomfort associated with the braces should be completely gone. The teeth will have gradually acclimated to the braces, and eating should be much easier. Certain hard foods may still pose a challenge to the wearer, but normal eating may be resumed at this point.
- Orthodontic appointments – Regular orthodontic appointments are necessary to allow the orthodontist to change the archwire, change the rubber or metal ties, and make adjustments to the braces. Fixed braces work by gradually moving the teeth into a new and proper alignment, so gentle pressure needs to be applied constantly. The first several days after an orthodontic adjustment may be slightly uncomfortable, but remember that this discomfort will quickly fade.
- Dealing with discomfort – Over-the-counter pain medication and orthodontic relief wax will help alleviate any mild soreness and discomfort following placement of braces and orthodontic adjustments. Another effective remedy is to chew sugar-free gum, as this increases blood flow which helps reduces discomfort and can also encourage the teeth to align quicker.
If you have any questions or concerns about orthodontic treatment, please contact our office.
Our online consults haven't stopped! We are working hard to make sure your dental
needs don't have to wait! Connect with us today and get all of your questions answered
for free in three easy steps.
1. Upload a smile photo or area of concern.
2. We will create a personalized video with recommendations.
3. View your video and schedule an appointment.
“This dental office is highly recommended- for their service, friendliness and expertise in dentistry. The deep cleaning done for my needs was painless.”Marybeth H.
“The staff & doctor Cho were very friendly & professional. I’m so glad that I’ve finally found a good dentist… I’ve already referred 2 others!”Debbie C.
“Very honest man. A credit to his profession and Korea. At 88, with all the problems of old age, I feel totally safe with him. He literally rescued me.”Naresh V.
“Excellent. Comfortable, intelligent, wasn’t oversold on stuff I didn’t need.”Nick S.
“The staff are friendly and I like the text appt reminder. Dr Cho and the staff are great. They are friendly and accommodating. I provide 100 % quality service.”Michelle M.